Thursday, December 3, 2009

My Incredibly Short Timeline

I was lucky...VERY lucky. I know that average is around 6 months to 1 year from application to invitation (correct me if i am wrong!)...but I got it all done in an incredible 4 months, maybe just a week or two over. Here is another approximate timeline:

Mid-August: Submitted application
Late-August: Interview
September 9: Nomination (Community Development HIV/AIDS to Sub-Saharan Africa leaving in January)
September 14ish: Received medical kit
October 2: Mailed in medical kit
October 8: Medical kit received
Mid-October: Cleared for dental, sent additional information to medical
November 10: Medically cleared
December 1: Placement officer contacted me with additional questions and told me that I would not be leaving for my original nomination because I did not have any direct HIV/AIDS experience (just general health).
December 2: Missed a call from placement officer asking me to call him back.
December 3: Called him back for the millionth time in the morning and he invited me to a business program with an agricultural/environmental focus in Africa leaving in February.

After reading so many long, drawn out, even sometimes nightmare-ish timelines I feel so incredibly lucky! I am leaving in February which means I will have 8 months total from the day I clicked "submit" and the day I leave for Africa. Thanks Peace Corps! And good luck to everyone who is still in the process...it will happen I promise. Just hold in there!

1 comment:

  1. Interesting..

    My timeline mirrors yours. I just got a call from placement the other day and have to send in one more lab thing Monday and then it's on to clearance.. that's literally all that's holding up clearance from what I understand. I was nominated for Community Dev and I DO have HIV/AIDS experience that apparently (suprisng to me) counts, so NGO Advising in some capacity with HIV/AIDS appears to be what my PO would look to get me in provided I clear medical properly and he still thinks he has a slot for me and wants to fit me in there. Your timeline gives me hope!

    ReplyDelete