Thursday, December 3, 2009

INVITATION!!!!!!

I am getting an INVITATION!!!! I am SOOO excited! I missed a call from my placement officer yesterday and was not able to get a hold of him until early this morning. He told me about a program that would fit with my qualifications (mainly business) but that it has an agricultural/environmental focus leaving in February. OF COURSE it was absolutely perfect...it is in Africa, just like I was originally anticipating and hoping! I told him that it sounded perfect and he said he was sending me an invitation! I snooped around Peace Corps Wiki and I am thinking that I might be going to Zambia since there is a program leaving in February and they have a lot of agricultural/environmental programs as well as business programs. I will try to not get too excited before I get the invitation packet though!

Although I am immensely and unbelievably excited, I am a little worried about all that I have to do now! Since I lost my job a month ago I have not been able to make ends meet...and will therefore have to move down to California with my parents and grandparents so I can live with them rent-free until I leave. I will also be able to make a little extra income to help with some of my new African Peace Corps related purchases (portable French press coffee mug anyone?!?!). Soooo I now have to sell everything I own (including my car :-/), pack up everything I want to keep and take with me to the Peace Corps and everything I don't (already!), say goodbye to friends, AND finish all of my finals by December 19th (I had already bought the ticket forever ago)!!! Only a little over TWO WEEKS!! I am super bummed and disappointed that I will be leaving everybody and everything so soon here in Montana, but I don't think there are any other options! I know that it will be better in the end though...It will be nice to spend as much time as possible with the family. I don't, however, really know anyone my age in the area. If you or anyone you know will be in the Santa Barbara area of somewhere close you should let me know!

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your invitation!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what it's like to liquidate your life! Crazy huh? I am liquidating my life and moving to Thailand for 3 years to do a postdoc at a military med science institute--Much love and luck to you sweetie!

    ReplyDelete